From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:34:13 -0500
Don Satz:

>I happened to see two of those Kempe sets in a store yesterday - one did
>have Metamorphosen.  But, getting into most or all of Strauss's orchestral
>output is not one of the directions I'm currently embarked on.  I wanted
>to concentrate on Metamorphosen for now.

Well then how about the Vox 2cd with Michael Gielen conducting the
Cincinnati SO in Metamorphosen, Tod und Verklarung, the Oboe Concerto
(w/Holliger), Berg's Lulu-Suite and Lyric Suite, and Lutoslawski's Double
Concerto for Oboe and Harp? All the performances ('82 and '83 I think) are
great and so is the sound.  Gielen is a real good and clearheaded guide
through late romantic territory like Strauss and Berg, and the 20 minute
Lutoslawski concerto is one of my favorite things I've heard by L., and has
not yet been recorded in the Naxos series.  If this set isn't still in the
US catalogue, I know Berkshire Record Outlet has it for $5.98.  Copious
liner notes too.

Jon Lewis