From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 10:05:56 -0500
Thomas Heilman wrote:

>While plowing through my cds last night I came across the Klemperer Mahler
>7 which I had forgotten is coupled with two of Klemperer's own compostions,
>his symphony 2 and quartet 7.  Would those of you familiar with these works
>share your opinons of them?

Both are kind of Mahlerian, but with more academic devices, fugues, canons,
that sort of thing.  They brim with ideas, but none of them particularly
inspired, and tend to wander around quite a bit.  Mahlerian or not, the
sound is a little like Klemperer's conducting (which I like very much):
lean, severe, and quite linear, as opposed to opulent.  The Quartet is the
more interesting of the two, as if it is easier for him to work with 4
instruments than have to be responsible for an orchestra.  It has some nice
moments here and there, particularly the Adagio, which does have a vein of
richness to it.  The notes talk of how some of the music is inspired by the
pain Klemperer lived with.  There is some of that, but it's not enough.
To me, though, these works remind me of those I've heard (maybe 2) of
Furtwangler in that they are an indication that it is a good thing that
neither great conductor gave up his day job.

Roger Hecht