From:
Robin Mitchell-Boyask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:11:35 -0800
As an second choice to the rightly esteemed Klemperer may I please suggest
a, to some, radical option: Bernstein.  It might be that the videos of
Bernstein from the late 70s are indelibly burned in my emotional memory to
the extent that my judgement is severely tainted, but I have always simply
loved his Vienna Beethoven recordings, Fidelio included.  Quite different
from Klemperer!

btw, DG has just issued a bargain price LB's 4, 6 and 9 from the Vienna
set.  I'm listening to the 9th right now, which I haven't heard for year;
Lord I still love it!

Robin Mitchell-Boyask
Temple University
Philadelphia PA