From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:08:05 PST
Bob Draper wrote concerning Haydn symhonies:

>But is 102 really greater than 101, 103, 100 etc.  There are so many
>to choose from amongst symhony '78 onwards that I find it extremely
>difficult.

It is difficult, although at the current time "The Bear" is my favorite for
listening.  What's easier for me is deciding which conductor I like best in
the later Haydn symphonies.  There's something about Colin Davis in this
repertoire which I don't find in any other conductor; a pacing and flow
that I find irresistable.  Groves is also fine; I have a couple of his
Haydn recordings through MCA or IMP.

I noticed that a set from Bruggen (82-87?) is finally making its way into
the USA.  Any opinions on his performances?

Don Satz