HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Vallely <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:13:21 -0400
In the '50's in postwar suburban upstate NY, you could purchase an
"incinerator", essentially a  galvanized garbage can, perforated. My father
perforated a 55 gal drum with pickaxe. The garbage was hauled by a crew of
black men in a stake truck. The dump was where kids went to find 'stuff' or
shoot rats with BB's.
Rural areas tended, even into the '70's to have de facto 'dumps'--usually over
a steep bank along an isolated road. (Where grown-ups went to find 'stuff' and
shoot rats with .22's).
Sorry if the sentimental jurney is out of place.
John Vallely