HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dave McMahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:43:58 -0900
Marc,

I appreciate your comments.  Please note, however, that my original query was
not for salaries OR unsuccessful bid data ... only "ballpark" costs as a basis
for comparison.  For example, "my company or institution did a two-year
mitigation project with 300,000 artifacts for around 1.7 million dollars in
1997."  I have already received such data from several contractors in
"off-list" e-mails, for which I am grateful.  My purpose in collecting this
data is not to develop a budget; but rather to demonstrate to a funding agency
that a particular project is being done on a shoestring budget relative to
other projects of similar scope.  We all know that each project is unique and
requires custom budgeting; however, broad "bottom-line" comparisons may be
meaningful to funding agencies.

I am aware of the fundamentals of conservation and collections management.  My
staff and I have been working both with conservators and with the curatorial
staff of the receiving museum from the project's initiation.  I am also aware
of long-term costs that should be factored into the initial budget, the
relationship of these to 36 CFR 79 and other published guidelines, and that the
"discovery" of important unanticipated (and unbudgeted) features/deposits are
justification for requesting a supplement.  Thanks again for your input.

Dave McMahan