HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brian Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:08:27 -0400
I've heard similar claims regarding the superior objectivity of historians.

But then I think of Franz Boas, and the futility of waiting for one's
(Kwakiutl)
data to sort themselves out.  Someone has to make the data speak, and
that person's bias(es) determine what sort of story s/he chooses to tell.
My own favorite bias is the notion that we can make sense of the world
in which we live.  What would a post-modernist say?

Brian Siegel
Furman University