From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 07:36:32 PST
Nick Perovich asked if any of us had tales of "returning with trepidation
to recordings heard long ago." In my early teens, I loved the Vaughan
Williams 9th symphony conducted by Boult on Everest and Shostakovich's 5th
symphony(conductor not remembered).  I would just keep going back to the
library and taking these LPs home.

I then caught the "rock" bug for two decades and left classical music
behind.  Unfortunately, since returning to classical music, these two
works have never sounded remotely as good as they did back then.  There's
no logic to this; neither symphony is immature or geared toward children.
In my case, you can't go home again.

Don Satz