From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 07:29:10 +1100
I recently picked up a Naxos CD of Markus Pawlik playing Dohnanyi's Six
Concert Etudes, Variations on a Hungarian Folksong, Pastorale, and Ruralia
Hungarica.  In the last year, I've bought several CDs of his orchestral
music and have found it very enjoyable.  The piano music is too, much of it
very virtuosic and pleasantly flashy in places.  Best of all, it's labelled
Volume 1 although with Naxos's increasingly scattergun release policy, it's
anybody's guess when Volume 2 will turn up.  If you enjoy the music of
L***t (fellow Hungarian composer whose reputation has been somewhat savaged
lately), you should find this to your taste.

Richard Pennycuick