Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:42:29 EST
<< (As a side note: I attended a baby shower for a colleague today.
 Nearly every package or gift she was given had the image of a bottle
 on it, or was a bottle itself...  Why-o-why is that image so indelibly
 linked to babies???) >>

Have you ever tried to find a substitute image?  A diaper pin?  Many young
adults have seldom if ever seen them, knowing only tapes on disposables.  A
rattle?  A round rattle on a stick with a hand grip was once a common icon
for baby, but who sees them any more?  When baby grasped that hand hold and
shook, he was likely to conk himself!  Newer rattles are much better designed
but don't present a single image.  A diaper?  Used sometimes but some object
to its messy connotations.  A cradle or crib?  Maybe, but represents
separation and people still associate the bottle with being close to baby.

I notice that when LACTNET types design an icon or logo, it tends to be a
representation of mother with baby (and sometimes father too).

It is vastly easier to find cards and gift wrap without bottles now than it
was years ago, a fact I appreciate every time I buy a baby gift.
Unfortunately, Theresa, your colleagues choose the bottle image.  Perhaps
that is a 'heads up' to you.

Alice Martino
in central New York State
accredited volunteer with major support group