Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:33:25 -0500
I have mentioned before that I teach in a middle school (actually we
just moved 3 weeks ago, so I'm in a new middle school, but that's a
long saga ;)  )-- my school is doing a big health initiative on
asthma.  Apparently there are many, many undiagnosed kids here, or
untreated kids, it was hard to tell what the nurse was trying to say.
Anyhow, they are initiating both screening for asthma and asthma
prevention education in the schools.  I brought up the breastfeeding
part of the equation, and felt poo-poohed by the presenters from the
Health Department.  My suggestion was to include breastfeeding as a
means of preventing or lessening the severity of asthma in some kids,
but of course I had no citations or recent studies in my little
backpack to share with them.  I was thinking that if the students hear
this now, perhaps it will be a little brick in the foundation of their
own future breastfeeding (or support of a nursing mom).

Anyone with references I might use?  If this is included, it will
reach all students from grades 3- 12 in my county.  I think even a
*small* mention of breastfeeding EVERY possible situation where it
might be appropriate makes a difference.

(As a side note:  I attended a baby shower for a colleague today.
Nearly every package or gift she was given had the image of a bottle
on it, or was a bottle itself...  Why-o-why is that image so indelibly
linked to babies???)

Teresa Glenn