From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 09:09:13 -0600
>  And if, as would be common, they do ask
>for a $5 per essay over the whole class's photocopy, so that you are talking
>about, say in a small class of 10, fifty cents per selection per student,
>would that make you drop it if you thought your students really ought to be
>reading it?

It was $5 per book chapter per student, for a 12 chapter book that cost $20.
So it would not be fifty cents per student, I would be $5 per student, and
you can bet I dropped that reading.  Actually, what I did was put it the
book reserve at the library, and made each student go photocopy their own
article.  The photocopy machines in the library charge 10 cents per page,
instead of the 4.5 cents per page from Kinko's, and the students had to go
to the hassle of going over there and making copies.  And of course, the
reality is that one student would go make copies for everyone else (instead
of the instructor doing it), and then charge the other students a little
extra for their time and effort.

At any rate, at my university, we have either the option of course packets,
or putting things on electronic reserve -- where the student goes to the A&M
web page and down loads the reading into their computer, in its entirety.
They can either read it off their web page, or print it out on their
computer, or they can use the computers and printers at the reserve room if
they don't have a computer or printer themselves.  At any rate, no one pays
any copyright fees any more.

Kathy Dettwyler