From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:27:26 +0100
Donald wrote:

>Does anyone have an opinion on Tchaikovsky's, Symphonies Nos.  4, 5 & 6
>conducted by Pierre Monteux and the Boston Symphony on RCA? I'm looking for
>the last three symphonies and this one is offered by BMG.  Is this DDD?
>They don't say.

1.  To start with the easy one.  DDD started some 30 years after Monteux's
death, so don't count on it.

2.  I quite like these recordings.  Monteux was (rightfully) regarded as
a master in French music (especially his Debussy is one to look out for),
but what is much lesser known are his accomplishments in Austro/German and
Russian music.  As he was frequently appearing at the Concertgenouw, he
was rather annoyed that they always wanted French music out of him.  His
Tsjaikovski is swift, not very emotional with oh so clear.  Come to think
of it, Roberto Benzi strikes me as a modern conductor whose approach is
quite similar.  If you want my midprice (at least midprice over here
between the wooden shoes) recommendations, go for Janssons (EMI), Haitink
(philips) for the solid mainstream and Bernstein or rather Mravinsky (both
DG) for a stunning one-time experience.  But don't come complaining to me
if these last two spoil you for anything else.

regards, Jos