From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:15:45 -0600
Bruce McKinney responds to me about Orff's Carmina Burana:

>>My two favorites: Fruebeck de Burgos on EMI.  Best choral work, with the
>>choir trained by choral legend Wilhelm Pitz.  Kegel on Berlin Classics -
>>the only recording to play Orff's work in the orchestration Orff specifies.
>
>Steve, please explain your orchestration remark.  To my knowledge, there
>is only one orchestration for the work.  Details, please.

Some of the percussion originally specified by Orff is apparently a bit
rare, so orchestras substitute more standard instruments.  As far as I
know, the only recording which performs with all the instruments Orff
specifies is Kegel's.

Steve Schwartz