From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:33:16 -0000
Bob Draper:

>Liszt may have been flashy.  But I would prefer to call it more of a rough
>edge much akin to what one finds in Beethoven.  Hence I am surprised that
>someone could like the latter and not the former.

I wish it was that simple, but I still think you got a point.  Liszt
admired the 9th symphony (especially the last movement) and also Schubert's
Wanderer Fantasy and used them as basis for his own structural models.

>Both composers made mistakes.  I have heard that there is a supposed
>miscalculation by Liszt in Les Preludes.  This is about two thirds way
>through where there is a sudden re-entry of brass.  The supposition is
>that this is out of place.

According to who? Don't you mean the re-entry at the very end? Do you
think it's out of place? I recommend Kenneth Hamilton's "B Minor Sonata"
(Cambridge University Press), which is the only decent book about the
Symphonic Poems I've come across.

Mikael