From:
Donald Scarinci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 07:57:04 EST
I am looking at three BMG selections.  I'd appreciate feedback before I
buy:

1.  Tchaikovsky's, Symphonies Nos.  4,5 & 6 conducted by Pierre Monteux on
RCA Victor Gold Seal

2.  Liszt Words for Violin and Piano with Rachael Barton and Thomas Labe on
Dorian

3.  Mendelssohn Symphonies Nos 4 & 5 conducted by Gardiner on DG.

Guess I'd like to fulfill all of my agreements before January 1, just in
case the computers have problems.  What do people think of these:

1.  Schumann, Piano Concerto and Violin Concerto on Teldec with Harnoncourt
and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe

2.  Dvorak, Cello Concerto; Herbert Cello Concerto No.  2 on Sony Yo Yo Ma
and Kurt Masur conducting the NY Philharmonic.

3.  Mahler, Symphony 6 by Berstein/Vienna Phil on DG.  (I'd go with the
5.1 surround sound TELARC with Levi except that he eliminates the repeat.
Eternal damnation to Levi regardless of the sound quality or the
performance.  If the composer said repeat, the conductor MUST repeat.
So Levi is NOT an option even though I'm otherwise ALWAYS persuaded by
recorded sound quality over performance when I buy).

Donald Scarinci