Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 07:13:19 PST
Nadine Meertens wrote:

>I would be interested to know the label, serial number of the CD and
>the name of the interpreters of these quartets.

The disc is from CPO and contains Braunfel's first two string quartets,
opus 60 & 61.  The serial number is - 999406.  The performers are the Auryn
Quartet, the same group that recently recorded all the Schubert string
quartets for CPO.

Braunfels wrote these quartets when he was in his 60's.  As for other
string chamber works from Braunfels, he wrote a string quintet earlier
in his career and a third string quartet.

I also highly recommend the CPO string quartet recording.  For reference,
I think it compares well with Zemlinsky's string quartets.  They're all
very good.  I do remember a review that considered the Braunfel quartets
too traditional in form and recommended earlier Braunfel works such as "The
Birds".  But, I'm glad to have the recording and have played it often.

Don Satz