From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:15:12 -0000
Ed Zubrow writes:

>>Also, from my Penguin Guide a Naxos collection of symphonic poems seems
>>like the best bet for a good recording of Les Preludes.  Does anyone have
>>this? Or any other recommendations?

There are many good recordings of Les Preludes.  It's almost a foolproof
piece of music (partly because it's been in the standard repertoire for
such a long time).

Franco Destefanis responds:

>...  I will suggest the two boxes (each in 2 CD set) by Philips.  The
>London Philarmonic is conducted by Bernard Haitkin.  I bought them in
>Paris a couple of years ago but I suppose they are still distributed.
>The numbers are <Philips 438 751-2 and 438 754-2>.

I wouldn't recommend Haitink.  I prefer Joo on Hungaroton.  Masur on EMI
is also supposed to be good but VERY uneven, just like Halasz on Naxos.

Mikael