From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:12:13 -0800
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Just 10 days ago I attened the dress rehearsal (couldn't make the
>performance) of the Eroica by the University of Victoria Orchestra.
>Technically it left a few things to be desired (although the conductor
>told me that the things they'd worked on had all been better on the night)
>but it was a tremendously exciting performance - they'd never played it
>before, you see...

That is partly what I was thinking of in my somewhat tongue-in-cheek post
on the subject.  Orchestras get jaded when they play a piece too often; I
am sure hearing students wrestling with the Eroica for the first time would
be exciting.  But any reputable orchestra must have played the Beethoven
symphonies times without number.  It is the same in the opera house:  going
through "Boheme" or "Traviata" for the umpteenth time can make an orchestra
sound very dispirited; but give it the opportunity to play "Wozzeck" or
Prokoviev's "Fiery Angel" and the sparks really fly.

Julia Werthimer
California USA          email: [log in to unmask]