Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:52:49 +0000
From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
I propose a New Millenium Resolution for all MCML listmembers and anyone
else who cares about the future of classical music in live performance:

For the year 2000, refuse to attend any concert that contains a performance
of the Sibelius Violin Concerto.

I have nothing against this concerto.  I am, in fact, rather fond of it
and I have owned probably over 20 different performances of it on record
or CD at one time or another.  However, it crops up constantly on concert
programs and even though I do my best to avoid what are likely to be less
than outstanding performances, I have still heard it more often than any
other single piece of classical music over the last ten years.  I am
"burned out" with it, fed up with it, bored with it, sick of the sight and
sound of it and I don't want to feel like that about such a fine piece of
music.  I need a good long break from it.

What has brought this on is that I am having a crisis of indecision over
whether or not to book seats for a concert (Philharmonia and Leonard
Slatkin) at the Festival Hall on 16 March 2000.  The programme is:

MacMillan - Sinfonietta (heard it once before in Scotland, most listmembers
will know that I'm a big MacMillan enthusiast)
Sibelius - you know what. Joshua Bell is the violinist, and that puts it in
the "potentially outstanding" category.
"Elgar" (my quotes!) - Symphony 3.  I have grave doubts about this, but
I'm certainly willing to give it a try in live performance.  And Slatkin
may not be everyone's idea of a great Elgar conductor, but there's no doubt
that he loves his Elgar and sees a long way into the music.

A large part of me really wants to go to this concert, but another part
just says "NO!!  NOT AGAIN!!!  I JUST CAN'T STAND IT!!!!"

So I propose that anyone who feels tempted to a concert that includes the
Sibelius VC (and has heard it frequently before) should telephone the box
office and say "I'd really like to spend my money on the best seats for
this show, but I'll only do it if you cancel the Sibelius and program *any*
other violin concerto in its place.  Preferably one that doesn't get
performed too often."

Just for this one year.  Let's all get together and send a message to
concert organisers that we want some more imagination in programming.  Even
a dozen or so people contacting the Festival Hall box office will get a
powerful message through to the managers.

Ian Crisp