Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:57:00 EST
Dear Friends:
    "...I have cared for at least one mother whom I started at 37 weeks
gestational age on a double pump used for 15 minutes 4 times a day. This
was after wearing shells for 2 months previously made no change. I had a
strong hunch from observing her that they were umbilicated, but nothing,
including the Hoffman maneuver, brought them into view prior to the 2
weeks of q.i.d. pumping .One week before term, her nipples began to
consistently evert for 10minutes or so when the pump was used. By term, she
was able to evert them manually most of the time. (I presume this was due to
the principle of
tissue expansion, which I am now reading up on after seeing the term in
Dr. Scholten's letter to the editor.) This mother successfully nursed..."

    My question to Ms Cotterman is about the safety of having a pregnant
woman pump so much. I know that nipple stimulation during pregnancy is
usually okay (as in lovemaking) but that isn't as much as the hour a day
described here. Did this mother notice an increase in contractions? What
about risk for preterm labor?
    Warmly, Nikki Lee