From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:13:10 -0600
Mark Knezevic wrote:

>Howdy, I've become interested in vinyl players in the past three months ...
>of course this is because of my newly purchased vinyl player, the newest
>one can get, so I suppose the best, I didn't even think one could buy a
>newly made one anymore.

Ahh yes, but the good ones are very expensive.  I have a moderately priced
Rega Planar 2 which I bought cartridge and all for about 5 bills.

>In any case, I was wondering, about past recordings that were recorded
>specifically for vinyl distribution.  As far as I know, and I don't know
>much about this sort of thing, each side can hold about 25 minutes of audio
>at the very maximum.  This must pose some sort of a problem for recordings
>of works by Mahler, Bruckner, etc.  ...  in that you could not fit the
>whole movement on a single side.  Would conductors in some cases have
>to play a passage faster to be able to fit one movement on a side?

Oh vinyl will hold a great deal more than 25 minutes.  I have some sides
that push 40.  I don't know of any single movements that are split due to
time.

Bob Draper wrote:

>There is a vinyl discussion group you might be interested in.  I think
>they're based at phonograph.com or something similar.  They seem to discuss
>mainly classical works.

Our own list member John Wiser is the owner of a great vinyl discussion
group.  To join, point your brower to www.onelist.com, and join
classicvinyl.

Jonathan Knapp wrote:

>My advice is to buy CD to avoid the DJ routine.

Ahhh, but this takes away a great deal of fun.  For example, there are no
cd's in the world that can compare to RCA's fabulous Soria Series or some
of the beautifully packaged Hungaroton records of the past.  CD's are
wonderful, but ahhh, I do love my vinyl and wouldn't trade them for the
world!

Kevin