From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:48:13 PST
Matt Hoyle is looking for recommendations for the complete cycle of
Beethoven piano sonatas.  Matt mentioned Ashkenazy on Philips; I believe
that cycle is on London/Decca.  I like Ashkenazy in these works; he has
a nice flow, and forward momentum in the more dramatic movements is
excellent.  I've been buying the Russell Sherman volumes on the GM label,
and although I enjoy Sherman in this repertoire, he could take some
pointers from Ashkenazy concerning forward momentum.  Sherman has a
tendency to be somewhat mannered when it's time for propulsion - little
hesitations which, imho, retard the natural flow.

My only problem with the Ashkenazy set is what I hear as a tubby sound -
not a big problem since the performances are so good.

Matt also mentioned the Kempff series.  That's also very good, loaded
with insights.  Some other cycles that come to mind:

Goode on Nonesuch - has received some stellar reviews, but I'm not
convinced.  I find Goode very mainstream and ordinary.

Lortie on Chandos - Best to avoid this one.  I just don't think that
Beethoven plays into Lortie's strengths.

Kovachevich on EMI - Excellent playing, but the sound tends to be harsh.
Others think differently.

Roberts on Nimbus - Great piano sound with good but not outstanding
interpretations.

Don Satz