From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:03:26 -0600
Karl Miller wrote:

>Mats Norrman wrote:
>
>>When I see the halfnaked violinist Linda Lampenius, who can't play violin
>>with any especial grace at all...  I wonder is how many CDs would be sold
>>with a John Taverner in bathing suit on the cover.
>
>I wonder how many copies DG sold of the Stockhausen disc where he was nude
>on the cover?

I think we're talking about something that is slanted toward the male
point of view.  (One which I endorse at some level of brain function, and
condemn at another.) I personally would like to hear from female members
of this forum (I apologize if some have already written--I haven't read
all the posts to this thread) as to what they enjoy in the way of CD
covers.  Speaking as a male, (1) I don't think it's wrong to fantasize
about a beautiful woman making beautiful music; (2) I question the
cheap-shot method of attempting to boost CD sales by playing on (1).

BTW Note that the contemporary English composer's surname is spelled
TAVENER, and the Renaissance composer (of whom no nude portraits are
extant) is spelled TAVERNER; although the former claims an ancestral
relationship to the latter.

Chris Bonds