From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:42:48 +0000
Nick Perovich writes:

>I am relatively indifferent to French and Russian music, to Italian opera,
>to American music.  (By relatively indifferent, I mean that I may like it
>well enough to want to find and acquire a single good performance of such
>works, but I will not obsessively go after multiple performances, often
>multiple "historical" performances, in an effort to wring as much as
>possible from my listening.) ...

I have been surprised at the way some list members are so obsessed with
purchasing multiple copies of the same work in order to chase that dream
of a performance of absolute perfection.

For me classical music is a journey of exploration.  I want to peek into
as many dusty corners as possible and dig out the gems to be found there.
Better to spend my money doing this than purchasing umpteen copies of
Beethoven's ninth (for instance).

Surely it is somewhat parochial to stay with the same repertoire over and
over.  Also, dare I say that this attitude seems to be characterised by
those who have fetish over Austro-German composers.

Bob Draper