From:
Anna Kruener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:01:18 EST
   Maestros reunited in music festival triumph

   JASPER BECKER

   Beijing's second music festival ended on a poignant note when veteran
   American violinist Isaac Stern took to the stage to play Mozart with
   82-year-old conductor Li Delun, a survivor of the Cultural Revolution.

   It was a reprise of Stern's visit 20 years ago, when he came to
   Beijing and helped mark the restoration of "bourgeois" Western music
   on the mainland.

   His visit was captured in a documentary, From Mao to Mozart - Isaac
   Stern in China, which won an Oscar in 1979, just after the US had
   formally recognised the People's Republic.

   Footage from the documentary was shown during Friday night's performance.

   Scenes of the American maestro giving lectures to halls packed with
   laughing but nervous students showed a very different China.

   Although Stern's infectious enthusiasm seemed undiminished by the
   two decades that had passed, the talented young prodigies he encouraged
   so long ago have changed considerably.

   They included cellist Wang Jian, who was 10 at the time, violinist
   Vera Tsu Wei-ling, who went on to study at the Juilliard School in
   New York and is now vice-concertmaster with the Hong Kong Philharmonic
   Orchestra, and pianist Pan Chen.

   "Although we had studied foreign music since the 1920s, for 10 years
   no foreign music could be played," recalled Li from his hospital bed
   this week.

   "At this moment, Stern came with very beautiful music.  It was very
   fresh.  He changed the way Chinese appreciated music.  We paid a lot
   of attention to technique but neglected the music itself.

   "He took talented kids and made them realise how they could make the
   violin sing," he said.

   "Stern taught us to follow music with your heart."

   All three stars performed on Friday night, conducted by Stern's son,
   David.

   After the intermission, veteran actor Ying Ruocheng gave a dry but
   witty introduction to the two men whom the audience had been waiting
   for - Stern, 79, and Li.

   The latter arrived in a wheelchair from which he conducted Mozart's
   Violin Concerto No 3.  When he finished, Li insisted on walking from
   the stage unaided.

   A graduate of the famous Shanghai Conservatory, he conducted the
   Yan'an Central Orchestra, and in the 1950s was sent to study conducting
   at the Moscow Conservatory.

   "I came back to the Anti-Rightist Movement.  Every day we had to
   attend meetings.  Then, after 1959, we were sent to the countryside,
   but I insisted we keep the whole orchestra together in the countryside.
   I said that we had to entertain local peasants," Li said.

   Li re-appeared in 1977 to conduct a gala concert celebrating Beethoven's
   150th anniversary, an event which marked the slow rehabilitation of
   Western music.

   He said the decision to hold the celebration was made two days before
   he was referred to a meeting of the Politburo.

   "[Former premier] Zhou Enlai said we could play Beethoven because he
   was a revolutionary.

   "The only time Western music was played during those years was when
   we played Beethoven for Kissinger," Li said.

   "Because for 10 years no foreign music was played in China, when they
   broadcast the concert in 1977, cadres who heard the radio in remote
   areas panicked because they thought it was an enemy broadcasting on
   a Chinese station."

   For more than three decades since the 1950s, Li was artistic director
   and principal conductor of the Central Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra,
   which is now the China National Symphony Orchestra.

   On Friday, after their performance, the two men embraced each other
   and then, amid loud applause, came back for two encores which were
   conducted by David Stern.

   In the end they all threw their bouquets of red roses into the excited
   audience.

   The concert highlighted how the mainland's relationship with classical
   music has changed since Stern's first visit.

   The Beijing Music Festival is patronised by the likes of Vice-Premier
   Li Lanqing and Beijing Communist Party Secretary Jia Qinglin, but
   relies heavily on corporate sponsorship.

   Published in the South China Morning Post. Copyright (c) 1999. All
   rights reserved.

Anna Kruener