From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:00:48 -0500
I have just listened to the Naxos recording of the second concerto (coupled
with the third on 8.110601) and was mightily impressed.  There is a notable
hiss throughout, but this soon fades into the background as you listen to
the precision and clarity of the playing.  The ending of the final movement
sounds a little flat compared with memory of other recordings in my
collection, but considering the age of the recording (April 1929, The
Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Stokowski) it is a fine addition to the
shelves.  I haven't heard the BMG/RCA discs, but I do like this recording
and think it bodes well for the Naxos historical series.  Now on to the
Rach 1 and 4 (8.110602) and the Menuhin recording of the Bruch G minor and
Elgar concertos.  It's going to be a long weekend!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA