HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:07:23 -0400
Dear John,

John Percy's Metalllurgy 1861 Part Vol 1 Part 1 has the following
entry. Page 223
"During recent years we have had good earthen ware
crucibles from the Patent Plumbago Crucible Company, Battersey
Works, under the management of Mr. Morgan. They are well moulded
and very refractory; they have a smooth surface, and withstand the
action of fluxes satisfactorily. They resemble crucibles of the
best French make in appearance, but are considerably thicker; I am
informed that the firm employs some French workman, and imports
foreign clay. They are known as white fluxing pots. ..."

The company may still is still in existence:-

I seem to remember buying 'Battersea Crucibles' not that many
years ago (well 20) from the Morgan crucible company.

And having checked the WWW have found its history www page at

http://www.morgancrucible.com/history.html

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:03:06 -0700 John Sullivan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> hello all.  I need help in locating info on the Battersea Works in
>  England.  Some construction work was done on our campus and back in the
>  mid 19th and early 20th century this building housed the chemistry lab.
>  Lots of old glass containers with glass stoppers and other glass items
>  that are associated with chemistry.  What was found in abundance was
>  ceramic (not porcelain) agent dishes with Battersea Works, England
>  empressed into the base.  any help would be appreciated.
>
>  John Sullivan
>  Sociology & Anthropology
>  University of Mississippi
>  University, Ms. 38677