From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 22:40:17 +0000
Mark Knezevic wrote:

>In any case, I was wondering, about past recordings that were recorded
>specifically for vinyl distribution.  ...  Would conductors in some cases
>have to play a passage faster to be able to fit one movement on a side?

I doubt wether conductors did do that.  But there is often a suspicion that
recordings are sometimes contrived to fit on Cds by juditious editing and
ommission of repeats.

>I can't see someone wanting to change sides in the middle of a movement

But that is exactly what happened with longer works like Beethoven's ninth.
This is one of the disadvantages of the medium.  Others are limited dynamic
range and surface noise.

I have read that the reason that the time length of a CD was originally set
at 75 minutes is because that is precisely the time required for the ninth.
Later the limit was increased to around 80 mins.

There is a vinyl discussion group you might be interested in.  I think
they're based at phonograph.com or something similar.  They seem to discuss
mainly classical works.

Bob Draper