From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 22:44:51 -0600
Perhaps no one should be allowed to put their image on an album cover
until they have made a reputation in sound.  Listen first, look later.
That won't happen until our culture disconnects physical appearance
from other personal attributes like intellect, musicianship, authority,
etc.  Males have it easier!  Look at Casals, for example.  R.  Serkin.
Furtwaengler could be considered kind of geeky looking but he had his share
of women.  Charisma takes the place of looks in a male in our culture.  But
it's a cultural kind of thing.  And in any culture true greatness overrides
appearance.  That Russian woman--Stalin's favorite pianist--forget her
name--now that was no beauty queen!  But she's in the "Great Pianists"
series.  You know, the one who read Yevtushenko's poetry at her concerts
and had no teeth at the time...

Chris Bonds

 [Perhaps we should be a little less concerned with the cover on the book,
 and focus on what's inside...  -Dave]