From:
Chris L Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:58:16 -0600
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Recently, I have come across Keith Jarrett's the Koln Concert recording
>on EMI.  I must say, it has been a long time since piano music has moved
>me in such a powerful way.  . . .  Two ... articles I read suggested he
>had meditated in an empty room for 24 hours with no sound and then
>performed the entire hour long concert impromptu.  Can anyone verify
>this? And if so, what are your thoughts on this kind of musical
>creation/performance.

Indeed, this is true.  There is (or was) no prior written score at the time
of the performance.  An astonishing improvisation.  One might be inclined
to resort to explanations of a divine inspiration - Jarret has described it
himself in such terms, claiming his role being that of an antenna.  But in
all fairness, Jarret had been doing improvisatory jazz in clubs for years.
His muse had a bit of practice.

"Chris L Beckwith" <[log in to unmask]>