From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:44:48 -0500
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Note that I believe anyone of any color who has musical talent can develop
>that talent in any direction they wish.  There is no gene that selects for
>the classical European musical tradition.  All it takes is sufficient
>exposure to the style from an early enough age.

While my wife and I were travelling in China, we were taken to a
performance of Chinese opera by some of her relatives, which included a
cousin who spoke excellent English and who liked to chat w/ me while my
wife was gossiping in Chinese w/ the other relatives.  He asked me how I
liked Chinese opera in comparison w/ opera from western countries.  Trying
to be at the same time diplomatic as well as honest, I replied that any art
form performed by people who love it and have the temperament and talent to
perform it well will sound good.  He replied that he preferred western
opera also.

Walter Meyer