From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 18:09:45 +0000
Mark Ehlert wrote:

>I want to point out one error to these past two posts.  "Eine Kleine" was
>performed by a string quartet made up from members of Hogwood's Academy of
>Ancient Music.  Apart from possible conversations with the players,
>Hogwood's only other role with this work -- inspired by Alfred Einsteins
>theory, no doubt -- was to add an extra minuet movement to the traditional
>4 movement form.  (The new movement comes from a student of Mozart if
>memory serves.) Hogwood *was* involved as a conductor in other aspects
>of the same recording, leading his ensemble in renditions of "Serenada
>Notturna" and the "Serenade for Four Orchestras."

I checked the booklet and it would appear that Mark is correct, except that
there are 5 instruments.  The notes describe this as a serenade quartet
with cello which they say is the correct performance practice for this
work.

Hogwood's role is not clear.  He does not play any of the instruments,
though.  The additional minuet and trio is given the attribution of
Attwood/Hogwood on the track listing, but the notes tell us that it was
written by Mozart and his pupil Thomas Attwood.

Thanks to Mark for pointing out my error.

Bob Draper