From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 18:21:25 -0600
Wanted to let anyone interested know that according to Gramophone's most
recent (January 2000) issue:

"Our Artist of the Year, Martha Argerich, features in a Dutch Radio release
by EMI early this year; she is the soloist in Beethoven's Piano Concerto
No. 1, accompanied by Heinz Walberg, and in Mozart's Piano Concerto No.
25 by Szymon Goldberg"

There is no mention of the recording dates (am not certain whether the S.
Goldberg is the violinist (is he still alive?) now acting as conductor).

She has not recorded the Mozart 25th before, to the best of my knowledge.
In fact, it was this same concerto that she performed in New York just
over 20 years ago and was deeply hurt by a review by Harold Schonberg
that referred to her performance as "superficial".  She had revealed her
feelings in an ever too rare interview with the esteemed Dean Elder of
Clavier magazine.  He on the other hand, Mr. Elder found her
interpretation to be wonderful on all accounts.

Ms. Argerich is a phenomenon, one of the greatest pianists to have graced
our earth - living or dead, and to have another work of her repertoire
preserved is a treasure.  One continues to dream of solo recordings of her
Brahms piano sonatas, or Spanish music, or anything really that she has not
yet committed to disc.  In the meantime I will enjoy her recent traversals
of the Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich trios (DG) and Saratoga chamber
releases on EMI - most of which are works in her repertoire that she has
not recorded to date.

Also, she is to perform the Brahms 2nd Concerto in Portugal in the year
2000 with Stephen Kovacevich conducting - at least for now.  And in May
the Franck Symphonic Variations and Saint Saen's 2nd Concerto.  Also this
year should see the release of her Poulenc Concerto for 2 pianos with
Rabinovitch, and the 2 Liszt Concertos (when will the Totentanz be
committed to disc, I wonder?) again on EMI.

Here is wishing in the meantime to everyone a happy and fulfilling year
2000.

Joseph Previte