From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 07:52:18 +1100
Len Fehskens wrote:

>The even tempered scale (which divides the octave into 12 steps) is an
>almost magical compromise that makes it possible to modulate into remote
>keys without too radically mistuning the important intervals of the
>diatonic scale.

We're currently seeing in Australia a superb series called Howard Goodall's
Big Bangs made by Channel Four (UK).  One program concerned this very
topic.  For someone with limited theoretical knowledge, I'm finding the
series engrossing and very illuminating.  Goodall is a very good-natured
presenter and has some quirky and effective methods of getting his points
across.  Those listers who are music teachers might find the series useful
if it turns up on a network near you, or there's a good chance it's
available on video.  If, like me, you're just a passionate music lover,
you'll find the programs well worth your time.

Richard Pennycuick