From:
Art Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 06:13:56 -0800
Don Satz wrote:

>Marc-Andre Hamelin, for Hyperion, has recorded a new disc of piano
>music composed by G. Catoire.  I've not heard of this composer before.
>Could anyone provide some information about Catoire, particularly his
>compositional style.

Hyperion's ad in the new ever-more-Haymarketish Gramophone (and the
website) say the following:

   "Georgy Catoire (1861-1926), one of a large number of composers who
   flourished in pre-Revolutionary Russia.  His style is very much of
   that period.  Primarily a miniaturist, most of his pieces can be
   described as mood pictures rather than as anything more abstract."

New Grove is, maybe, a bit more helpful:

   "As a composer he belonged on the whole to the "Moscow School" and
   his work takes Tchaikovsky as its point of departure.  The influence
   of Wagner is also apparent, though enhanced by a sensitivity to the
   styles of Chopin, Franck, and later even Debussy.

As a Gramophone reviewer might remark, sounds like a bit of a dog's
breakfast.  Nevertheless, I'll give Catoire a try -- everything Hamelin
does is worth investigating.

Art Scott
Livermore, Cal.