From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:07:23 -0800
-Mark Knezevic wrote:

>I can't really put my finger on any others.  It seems that the
>hardest/'best' classical guitar music is the arrangements from piano.
>Whilst the Sor and Giuliani sonatas (Grand Solo Op.14 and the like) are
>rather stunning, I think they are just technically hard, as in, lots of
>scales and such:P

I am a classical guitar player (when not putting pen to paper) and I think
many people have a difficult time with the Bach music.  The works I am
referring to are the suites for lute.  Some were adapted from works for
other instruments(cello, lautenwerke) and they are once again adapted to
the modern guitar.  In recordings I have heard and in listening to fellow
guitarists, I have seen/heard trouble with evenly distributing weight to
each voice in the contrapuntal texture.

Many of the works by Sor and Carcassi are less difficult, in my opinion,
because they use very similar arpeggios much like the Alberti (sp?) bass in
much classical piano music.  Bach's music wasn't written with the modern
guitar in mind and the fingerings can be tricky when trying to maintain a
proper balance with the notes.  Anyway, there are certainly works which are
more difficult than the Bach pieces, but then, different players have
different strengths and weaknesses.

Wes Crone