From:
Chris L Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:08:57 -0600
Bill Hong wrote:

>Some of the other must-haves of Biber's violin music include the
>"Mystery", or "Rosary" sonatas (his most famous use of the scordatura
>technique of deliberately mistuned strings).  Other important works
>include the "Harmonia artificioso-ariosa", the "Fidicinium Sacro-Profanum",
>and the "Mensa sonara seu Musica instrumentalis".  Not to mention some
>very stirring single movement sonatas for multiple trumpet ensemble,
>sacred music, at least one opera etc.

Bill, thanks for the clarification (and listing of other works) - in fact,
I tracked down your earlier Oct.  post on Biber in my files - I did not
know the "Mystery" and "Rosaries" were one and the same set of sonatas
until just now.  (I feel a bit foolish for thinking they were two distinct
sets - my apologies if I've confused anyone.) I shall look for the ARCANA
double set of Rosaries which you wrote about in Oct.  and I safely assume
you recommend.  If you have particular recordings to recommend of any these
other pieces, please drop me a note.  You've been quite helpful.

Poor Santa - he'll run when he sees me coming

Chris B