From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:31:12 -0500
Mats Norrman discussing humor in music.

>... Or listen again to the opening of Haydns 60th symphony.  After
>a little opening the violinst realize that they need to tune their
>instruments and do so...the music starts over again, and when everything
>seems fine; suddenly it appears a march on a slavonic folkmelody, so
>smoothly and carefully wowen into the music, but still not fitting the
>least.  a.s.o.  It gives a very comic impression, and I love it!!  I love
>humor in music.  ...

In Haydn particularly, I have found increasing enjoyment in the last 5 or
so years.  For me, there is such a sense of delight and fun in some of his
music.  (Something I did not find when a youth.) One of my objectives in
music purchases is to build up my collection of some of this Haydn.

Thanks to Mats, I now have a chance to ask this group for suggestions.
What is your favorite Haydn fun music?

Best regards,

Tom