From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 14:01:27 PST
Dave Orea's contribution to the Twentieth Century Poll got me thinking
about Messaien's Turangalila Symphony.

In the December BBC magazine, there is a section called 'If only I'd
written that. . .'

In it, Roxanna Panufnik gushes about the symphony calling it 'the most
phenomenally exuberant work that wrings every last emotional and erotic
drop of music out of its performers.' She calls it 'the most exhilarating
work to see and hear live.' OK, sounds interesting.

Immediately following her contribution, is one by Mark-Anthony Turnace, who
also comments on the work.  In it, he writes that he doesn't 'actually like
Messiaen's music.  I find it cloying.  I don't like the religious thing and
all that bloody birdsong!' Hmmmm.

It doesn't seem possible they are commenting about the same thing.  Having
been bitten by the Messiaen bug, I am very interested in learning about
everything he has written.  Can anyone recommend a recording?

Thanks.

Ron Chaplin