From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 10:59:29 +0000
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Chopin vs. Schumann.
>
>Schumann obviously, hands down the winner: Chopin only wrote great piano
>music after all, no chamber music worth speaking of, ditto concertos
>(sorry, I consider Chopin's 2 PCs to be extended solo works with orchestral
>interruptions), no choral music, precious few lieder....
>
>So why do I consider Chopin by far the greater composer?

Could this bring us back again to my little story about when I say
Christopher Hogwood give a Haydn talk? When asked by a member of the
audience why he thought Mozart enjoyed higher status he replied "he
wrote more catchy tunes...".

I would suggest the same maxim applies here re Chopin.

If a tune stays in one's head for days one is more likely to give that
composer more consideration.  When the music is usually less lyrical as in
Berlioz, Schumman, Bruckner etc then getting to know the pieces is harder
work.

I am not saying Chopin is not great.  Indeed, I think his piano + orchestra
pieces are underrated.  I am just attempting to explain why the other
composers are often held in lesser regard.

Bob Draper