From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:22:14 +0000
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>>Berwald kind of reminds me of CPE Bach: a great innovator, a very
>>interesting musical mind, but ultimately others used his ideas in
>>better ways.

Donald Satz replied:

>I fully agree with Steve.  With both composers,...

I disagree regarding both composers.  I know Haydn and Mozart borrowed from
CPE Bach particularly regarding Sturm und Drang.

Haydn and CPE Bach were the major players in this movement and it is
probably true to say that Haydn was influenced by Bach.  But then he went
on to do quite different stuff.  It was better but it was not what Bach was
doing.  Bach went his own way as all good composers do.  His piano sonatas
are quite different and somewhat 'avante garde' but they sound fantastic in
HIP.

I have found the Berwald symphonies highly original.  I can't think of
anyone who borrowed the ideas and used them better.

Bob Draper