From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:17:36 -0500
James Tobin wrote:

>A few days ago I tuned on the radio and heard a ravishing solo for soprano
>and orchestra, which I didn't know but which I assumed would turn out to
>be by Richard Strauss, because it was reminiscent of the Four Last Songs.
>The announcement told me it was an aria from Korngold's opera, Die tote
>Stadt, which I had never heard of before, let alone heard.  Today I heard
>another excerpt, this time sung by Thomas Hampton.  I never heard a work
>by Korngold that actually impressed me before.  Can anyone here comment
>on this opera?

All the good things you're imagining about it are true.  It's lush and
romantic in the finest post-Straussian mode.  There are some wonderful
arias, and beautiful large-scale orchestral writing.  The word is opulent
and incredibly atmospheric.  I know of two recordings.  The Leinsdorf on
RCA is terrific.  I don't know the Naxos, but reviews tended to favor
Leinsdorf.  YOu should also look into Violant (on Columbia) and Der Wunder
das Heliane (or whatever the exact title is).  Korngold in some ways
Strauss taken to his lush limits.

Roger Hecht