From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:04:36 -0600
A few days ago I tuned on the radio and heard a ravishing solo for soprano
and orchestra, which I didn't know but which I assumed would turn out to
be by Richard Strauss, because it was reminiscent of the Four Last Songs.
The announcement told me it was an aria from Korngold's opera, Die tote
Stadt, which I had never heard of before, let alone heard.  Today I heard
another excerpt, this time sung by Thomas Hampton.  I never heard a work
by Korngold that actually impressed me before.  Can anyone here comment
on this opera?

Jim Tobin