From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:58:38 +0000
Iain Somers wrote:

>This is clearly a debate that I could lose sleep over.  I can see many
>parallels: Bach vs. Handel; Mozart vs...well, who would we compare WAM to???
>
>[OK, Draper, here's your cue.  -Dave]

This is an intriguing post not least because it is signed Iain but purports
to originate from Iain Simons [I've asked that he fix this, but he refuses.
Another recalcitrant MCML subscriber.  -Dave].

So to Sandra or Iain as Dave has invited me I will respond and try to keep
it as inemotive as possible.  [Don't mistake cues for invitations.  -Dave]

Just because a segement of the music fraternity have been indoctrinated
with the populist idea that WAM is the greatest composer of all time it
doesn't mean we all agree.

In case you folks missed it I and quite a few other believe that HAYDN is
the greatest.  Here once again briefly is why:

He developed symphonic form thus WAM could write his inferior symphonies,
He invented the string quartet (ditto),
He invented the string trio,
He developed sonata form,
He developed the piano sonata,
He invented the Schertzo,
He was the first person to stand in front of an orchestra to conduct,
He wrote the first through work (Farewell symphony),
He wrote the first symphony with a slow ending (ditto),
He wrote the first symphony with a recapitulation of the opening,
theme in the finale (Horn Signal),
He was the first person to write operas with accelerated finales,
etc etc

"Everyone of his London symphonies is perferctly formed" Wagner
"My favorite composer" Brahms, Prokofiev etc.
"His late sonatas are without peers" Brendel
"Mozart's ok when he sounds like Haydn" Glenn Gould

Who could compare to WAM? Well perhaps Michael Haydn, Hummel or Bocherini.

Who could compare to FJ Haydn? You gotta be joking.

I predict that by the Haydn bicentenary 2009 we will witness a new world CM
order.

Bob Draper