From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:45:48 PST
Iain wrote:

>This is clearly a debate that I could lose sleep over.  I can see many
>parallels: Bach vs. Handel; Mozart vs...well, who would we compare WAM
>to???

The natural comparison would be Leopold, WAM's daddy.  That keeps it in the
family.

Okay, M. Haydn could also be compared to Mozart.  Not good enough? How
about Mike's brother? That's not a tough one, personally.  It's Mozart by
a nose.  His supremacy in the areas of concerti and opera is tough to beat.
Even if I preferred Haydn's solo piano works, chamber works, symphonies,
and sacred choral works (and I'm not saying I do), Haydn would have a long
uphill battle to reach equilibrium.  Let's have a drink and slosh through
this predicament.  Where's Bob Draper when Haydn needs him? Everyone needs
a champion.

Don Satz