From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:14:52 +1100
James Kearney wrote of the Handley version of The Witch of Atlas (the only
one?):

>From 0:24 - have you ever heard a theme of greater Tchaikovskian
>yearning than this, soaring first on violins, then on horns, then oboe
>and cello?

I'd never especially noticed this theme, but now that James mentions
it, it is a great one.  It reminds me very much of a theme from one of
Tchaikovsky's piano concertos or it might be in a symphony - whatever,
it's going to keep nibbling at my subconscious until I identify it, so if
someone tells me I'm distracted, I'll be able to blame James.  If someone
else gets to it before I do, please post!

>It's a shame Bantock's music is so unfashionable...

Indeed it is, but I'm more than grateful for Vernon Handley's recordings
of his music.  There are two other Hyperion CDs of purely orchestral music.
One contains The Cyprian Goddess; Helena; Dante and Beatrice.  The other
has the Pagan Symphony; Fifine at the Fair (wonderfully subtitled A Defence
of Inconstancy) and Two Heroic Ballads.  The Pagan Symphony, IMHO, is the
pick of the three CDs - although it pays homage to the shades of Richard
Strauss, among others, it's a gloriously original work with memorable
themes, and in particular, there's a section for percussion which is
extraordinary for its time.  The first of the ballads, Cuchullan's Lament,
will stir anyone, as I have, with even a drop of Scottish blood: this is
heroism writ large, and all in 3:47.  Best of all, the CD runs 79:38.

Richard Pennycuick