From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:44:44 -0500
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>:

>I had always understood that [Strauss] declined to attend a denazification
>tribunal, though I'm not sure on what my understanding is based.  I'd be
>interested to learn more about it.

Strauss' case almost certainly was handled by a denazification tribunal,
and almost certainly one in session at Garmisch-Partenkirchen (where
Strauss lived).  But as the files have disappeared there can be no, well,
_historical_ certainty about this.  Moreover, there was no declining a
summons to appear for denazification proceedings.  Military government law
made it obligatory.  So:  it's likely that Strauss did appear before the
tribunal (unless excused for illness, or the like).  What remains unclear
is whether the panel exonerated him entirely or, alternatively, into which
of the several grades of offense that the law foresaw he was pigeon-holed.
The lowest classification was "minor offender" which carried with it
virtually no penalty, as I recall (I was in the army stationed in Austria
at the time).

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]