From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:41:57 -0800
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>....  what I'm really looking at is whether one of the "Duos" or "2-fers"
>or some other budget release covers the Ravel orchestral works in classic
>performances.  For instance, are the Vox Boxes by the Minneapolis Symphony
>and Skrowaczewski my best bet, or is there something else I should look
>for?

I have 3 CDs worth of Skrowaczewski's Ravel and I think that he is my
favorite out of the Ravel that I have heard.  I also have one of the recent
EMI reissues with Martinon and it is also good with a particularly nice Le
Tombeau De Couperin.

A few years ago, when I worked for Tower, I heard Ozawa's duo disk
of Ravel and it was also good believe it or not.  That was back in
Ozawa's early days when he was actually pretty good with some 20th century
repetoire IMHO.  Also, DG has just reissued some Abbado recordings of this
repetoire.  Like Ozawa, I have liked many of Abbado's earlier recordings
before he began sleepwalking on the podium.

In other words...Yes, grab the Skrowaszewski if you see it.  Of course I'm
fishing for recommendations as much as you are.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)