From:
"David Orea C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:21:54 -0500
Jazz was another indispensable element used in Film Noir.  Sometimes as
background music, sometimes as part of the plot.  High quality Jazz.

In several movies of the '50s we can listening (and watch) jazzmen like:
Ben Webster, Bud Shank, Jimmie Giuffre, Bill Evans, Jo Jones, Illinois
Jacquet, Shelly Manne, Shorty Rogers, Benny Carter, Gerry Mulligan, Meade
"Lux" Lewis.

Westcoasters Jazz in films like "The Wild One", "Private Hell 36", "The Big
Combo", "Touch of Evil", "I Want to Live!".

Duke Ellington in "Anatomy of a Murder".

In "Young Man with a Horn" we see Kirk Douglas with a horn played by Harry
James.

Perhaps has been in French (and Italian) movies where I have found more
frequently Jazz as background music.  Movies from last '50s to '70's.
"Ascenseur pour l'echafaud" has excellent Jazz composed and performed by
Miles Davis.  The Fontana CD (836 305-2) contains 26 tracks with different
takes for specific scenes.  Over 70' of high quality Jazz.

Another excellent CD is the Philips (822 566-2) with 2 soundtracks by Art
Blakey's Jazz Messengers ("Des Femmes Disparaissent" and "Les Liaisons
Dangereuses") plus the Miles Davis "Ascenseur pour l'echafaud".

Back to Hollywood:  Remember the scene in "Picnic" with Kim Novak and
William Holden dancing "Moonglow"? A delight!  (I mean Kim).

And what about the Alex North' Jazz in "A Streetcar Named Desire"? The
sensual Sax, the symphonic blues at the start.  The whole work.  Exquisite
music:  Jazz, high quality Jazz.

Dave.